About this course
It is expected that graduates of the Master of Construction Management will have completed the academic requirements for corporate membership of:
- Australian Institute of Building (AIB)
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RCIS)
The Australian Institute of Building (AIB) has accredited the Bachelor of Environments Construction major as qualification for AIB Associate membership.
Intended learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Construction Management will:
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of technical understanding of the design of buildings and associated construction processes and solutions;
- Have an understanding of a broad range of management theories, including their practical application in the delivery of construction projects that need to meet the client’s cost, time, aesthetic, functional and operational requirements;
- Recognise and understand how projects are evaluated, structured and delivered in terms of risk allocations and contractual obligations;
- Be problem solvers, able to research, analyse, evaluate and discuss a wide range of construction technologies and management strategies applicable to the practice of construction management;
- Understand the principles and practices of managing, motivating and leading people who work in construction project teams.
Graduates of the Master of Construction Management will have a mix of technical, interpersonal, professional, business and management skills relevant to the successful delivery of a building construction project. These will include:
- Technical skills to plan and undertake construction-related activities associated with various building types and systems;
- Cognitive and creative skills to evaluate and research traditional and alternative construction methodologies and processes;
- Cognitive, technical, interpersonal, communication and technical skills that demonstrate the ability to synthesise complex information then plan, organise, lead and control a construction project to completion within cost, time and quality parameters;
- Technical and communication skills to generate contractual and construction documentation for building construction projects in order to inform construction workers, managers, consultants and/or clients of their roles and responsibilities and project performance;
- Communication and technical skills to avoid conflict, manage risk and monitor project progress.
Application of Knowledge and Skills:
Graduates of the Master of Construction Management will demonstrate the application of knowledge & skills via:
- The ability to think strategically and creatively in addressing key construction issues and/or undertaking construction project activities;
- The ability to work individually and collaboratively to establish and evaluate requirements and priorities in new project situations and effectively contribute to building planning and/or evaluation activities;
- Ability to plan and execute a substantial research-based project, capstone experience and/or piece of scholarship.
The Master of Construction Management has been specifically designed around the University of Melbourne graduate attributes, as well as requirements of professional associations. The Master of Construction Management will incorporate research-led teaching, problem-based collaborative learning, professional engagement, and a diverse mature cohort. Graduates of Master of Construction Management will have high-level professional and intellectual capabilities enabling them to demonstrate leadership, a commitment to life-long learning, and professional integrity.
Graduates in construction management typically work for construction companies both on and off construction sites. Their roles include planning and scheduling, project management, contract administration, estimating and tendering. Graduates pursuing a career in construction economics may work as construction cost consultants or quantity surveyors with financiers, property developers, or project managers.
Last updated: 23 September 2023