|Look up fees
This subject was formerly called Facade Design and Performance.
This subject provides the student with knowledge on the technology, manufacturing, erection and performance of buildings’ external boundaries.
By considering facades and roofing systems against the processes involved in their procurement, it gives insights on the complexity of building envelope definition and production in the industry, particularly from a construction perspective.
A short introduction to the history of external cladding is followed by an overview of principal façade and roofing system functions, systems and types.
Material on simulation, testing, mock-ups, trade packaging, purchasing, activities planning, scheduling and erection is provided to help students understand the construction process.
Emphasis is also placed on the technical and organizational differences between new developments and refurbishment work.
Note: This subject includes a pre-teaching period. During the pre-teaching period students are expected to complete the course readings, review the lectures and any other course preparation as outlined on the LMS. The LMS will become available at the commencement of the pre-teaching dates. Pre teaching starts on 11/09/2017
Intended learning outcomes
- To develop an understanding of available envelope types and systems and their different construction methodologies;
- To gain knowledge in the planning, testing and construction processes;
- To gain an understanding of the interdisciplinary character of the building envelope from a construction and performance perspective.
- Ability to understanding technical terminology and engage with this construction industry;
- Ability to comprehend construction constraints and strategies;
- Ability to relate façade construction with performance criteria.
Last updated: 3 November 2022