|Year of offer||2017|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 1|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject introduces students to the language and methods for critically describing works of art, using examples from the past and present.
This subject includes an embedded program in academic literacy skills of analysis, discussion, essay writing, research and information retrieval.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject aims to:
• provide a clear, basic knowledge and understanding of certain key historical moments and works of art and their contexts;
• familiarise students with terminology used in the critical understanding of art at a tertiary level;
• introduce students to methods of study appropriate at a tertiary level.
On completing this subject students will be able to:
• comprehend the descriptive and theoretical vocabulary used in contemporary art criticism and art historical studies.
• recognize methods and objectives of argument in art criticism and art history.