Designing Green Roofs and Walls (HORT90046)
Graduate courseworkPoints: 12.5On Campus (Burnley)
You’re currently viewing the 2017 version of this subject
About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable(opens in new window)
Please refer to the specific study period for contact information.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject explores the design, specification and management of green roofs and walls. The content will include guidelines and policies supporting green roofs and walls, relevant typologies and categories of use, requirements for successful design, construction and maintenance, development of specifications and project management and local and international case studies. Students will gain a thorough understanding of green roof and wall design and function, the benefits provided to cities and people and gain hands on experience through practical activities and visits to local project sites.
Intended learning outcomes
- Evaluate international green roof and wall guidelines, specifications and standards
- Explain the key design considerations for green roofs and walls, including the development and use of specifications;
- Analyse substrate properties relating to green roof specification and how these affect plant performance and plant selection
- Assess and analyse experimentally how green roof substrates influence stormwater runoff retention capacity
- Assess and analyse experimentally how green wall design influences thermal performance
- Compare and evaluate methods for plant selection on green roofs and walls using research and case studies;
- Discuss maintenance and management issues relevant to green roof and wall case studies
- Source, interpret and apply written information from a range of resources to describe issues pertinent to design and specification of green roofs and walls.
- Use scientific and technical literature in the discussion and evaluation of green roof and wall design.
- Develop investigative and analytical skills through study of green roof and wall design case studies.
- Integrate theory of green roof and wall design with practical considerations in case study explorations of their implementation and on-going management and maintenance.
- Develop a practical understanding of green roof and wall implementation through interaction with guest industry speakers; Linking students with potential employers.
- Develop analytical and measurement skills in hands-on practical exercises
- Gain experience in effective team work.
Last updated: 3 November 2022