|Fees||Look up fees|
This breadth subject is intended to help students understand (a) what packaged enterprise application software (PEAS) is, (b) how such software is implemented, and (c) how organizations can maximize benefits from their often-large investments in PEAS. By “PEAS”, we refer to packaged-software-based systems such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Supply Chain Management (SCM), and Business-Intelligence (BI) systems. These systems are important because most organizations around the world today rely on such systems to support their core business processes.
The subject discusses (a) what enterprise-systems software is, (b) claimed advantages and limitations of enterprise systems, (c) how best to implement packaged enterprise application software (PEAS), (d) future directions that PEAS are likely to head as vendors respond to market pressures for integration between heterogeneous information systems, cloud computing, greater access from mobile devices, and demand for more information faster than ever before, and (e) things organizations need to do to try to maximize benefits from their often-large investments in packaged enterprise application software (PEAS). Students will normally undertake approximately 10-15 hours of hands-on exercises with software from a leading vendor, SAP.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILOs)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Have a good understanding of the capabilities of enterprise-wide ICT-based application software, e.g., enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), supply chain management (SCM)
- Have an appreciation of the factors that need to be managed if enterprise-wide software is to be implemented on time, within budget, and produce on-going benefits for its host organization
- Have an understanding of the likely direction and impact of PEAS-related technological innovations such as in-memory databases, mobile computing, and business intelligence on future enterprise-system architectures
- Gain hands-on experience in using SAP ERP system, the most popular enterprise application software packages to support business processes
On completion of this subject, students should achieve the following:
- Students will improve skills in oral and written communication
- Students will develop skills in argument analysis
- Enchanced collaborative skills through group work and discussions
Last updated: 6 December 2023