|Year of offer||2017|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework Level 7|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject will provide students with an understanding of key concepts in the fields of strategy, leadership, marketing, human resources and IT management. It will provide students with the ability to contribute more effectively to management decision-making. The subject aims to give students a greater appreciation of the keys to business success. The mode of instruction will include case study analysis, guest speaker presentations and interactive lectures. This subject is ideal for those working in any professional services context including law and accounting firms, in-house legal teams or any other type of business advisory practice.
Principal topics include:
- Practice economics
- Strategy formulation and implementation
- Managing people
- Marketing, brand and reputation-building
- Business development and client relationship management
- Improving operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Business planning and measurement
- Why some firms fly.
Intended learning outcomes
A student who has successfully completed this subject will:
- Understand the economics of running a legal practice, be it a sole practice, part of a large or medium-sized firm or even an in-house team
- Be able to formulate a successful competitive business strategy
- Understand how to recruit, retain, engage and lead staff within a legal environment
- Understand how to establish key business processes and operate them efficiently
- Understand the fundamentals of marketing, brand and reputation building
- Understand how to win clients and build enduring client relationships
- Understand how to capture, store and leverage commercially valuable knowledge and intellectual property
- Understand the keys to successful leadership and management of a legal practice - why some firms fly.