|Year of offer||2017|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
Semester 1 - Online
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This will provide advanced knowledge for the performance and interpretation of 3-Dimensional echocardiography, as well as introducing new technologies and novel applications of clinical ultrasound.
- Transducer design and method of 3-D reconstruction
- How to perform 3-D transthoracic examination
- How to perform 3-D transoesophageal examination
- Understanding cropping and manipulation of recorded images
- Reporting 3-D examinations
Intended learning outcomes
The completion of the subject, students should:
- Learn techniques to optimise 3-D echocardiography acquisition
- Learn how to perform complex 3-D modelling of the mitral valve
- Learn how to quantify 3-D ventricular volumes
- Learn how to assess actual and ventricular septal defects, and role of 3-D imaging during percutaneous closure.
- Interpret 25 3-D echocardiography case studies
- Understand myocardial tissue stress and strain imaging
- Understand contrast echocardiography
- Understand the use of TOE for lung imaging
- Learn the use of ultrasound for examination of joints
- Learn the use of ultrasound for chronic pain blocks
- Understand diagnostic algorithms incorporating heart and lung ultrasound for emergency medicine
- Learn about abdominal blood flow imaging
- Learn about the use of echocardiography for percutaneous catheter-based procedures.
- Improve critical evaluation skills
- Evaluate the safety and practice of ultrasound in clinical practice.
- Improve Problem solving skills
- Improve understanding of diagnostic algorithms
- Enhance information literacy