Leadership and Team Dynamics (MGMT90013)
Graduate courseworkPoints: 12.5On Campus (Parkville)
About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable(opens in new window)
|Fees||Look up fees|
One of the main challenges for today's managers is effectively communicating vision and inspiring employees to achieve that vision within team-based work structures. This subject deals with this challenge by examining the interaction of leadership and team processes. A focus will be on critically evaluating the role of leaders in organisations with high involvement work practices (for example, employee involvement and empowerment) and the role of human resource practices in identifying and developing organisational leaders. Topics considered will include: contemporary theories of leadership; the role of managers as organisational leaders; human resources and leadership challenges of the team-based organisational structure; managing team dynamics; the effectiveness of shared leadership; human resource strategies for developing organisational leaders; and the impact of high involvement work practices on leading and managing teams.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Examine and evaluate the integrated nature of HRM strategy, policy and practice across the individual, group/team and organisational levels;
- Explore the interaction of human systems and processes across these three levels;
- Analyse the role played by stakeholders in the development of organisational policy and practice; and
- Develop a critical appreciation of the nature of organisational leadership and the role of leaders.
On successful completion of this subject, students should have improved the following generic skills:
- The ability to examine their own ideas and beliefs about team dynamics and leadership and compare them with the theories and observations of others;
- An appreciation of the integrated nature of HRM and group processes associated with team dynamics and leadership; and
- An understanding of a range of ideas concerning the role played by HRM in the emergence of effective leaders.
Last updated: 3 November 2022