|Year of offer||2017|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This unit covers selected issues in contemporary metaphysics. We will focus on a particular philosophical issue (e.g. ontology, possibility, necessity, the nature of objects), and look at contemporary work addressing this issue.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
- show an understanding of selected issues in contemporary metaphysics;
- manifest philosophical skill in arguing in an alert and well informed way for conclusions related to these issues;
- display acquaintance with some important past contributions to the discussion of those issues;
- indicate an awareness of how the subject matter is related to broader concerns in contemporary philosophy;
- acquire the ability to locate issues concerning metaphysics;
- learn to evaluate sophisticated arguments offered in the literature.