|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides students with an overview of theories, principles, methods, and findings in applied psychology, with a focus on domains such as health and well-being, education, work, and consumer behaviour. Topics will be selected from motivation and emotion; personality and abilities as predictors of real-world outcomes; economic decision-making; performance and achievement; expertise; health promotion; market research and consumer psychology. Tutorial exercises develop and extend these areas.
Intended learning outcomes
The subject aims to:
- develop an understanding of how basic theory and knowledge in psychology can be usefully applied to real world problems and questions
- develop knowledge of some key studies and areas of research relating to issues in applied psychology
- develop the ability to critically evaluate theories and research findings in applied areas of psychology
- develop knowledge of some of the practical problems which emerge in real-world focussed research.
Students will be given appropriate opportunity and educational support to develop:
- analytic skills related to real-world problems;
- social science research skills;
- communication and scientific writing skills.
Last updated: 19 November 2019