Education is offered as a major field of study in the Master of Environment degree.
The creation of sustainable societies depends on fostering social change, whether through education, organisational and policy change or changes or individual behaviour. The Education major develops knowledge and skills in education and change processes, enabling graduates to become agents of change within their organizations, communities and institutions, and to foster these skills in others.
Students will develop knowledge of historical, philosophical, socio-cultural, and psychological influences on environmental decision making and action. They will develop skills for social transformation for sustainability, drawing on studies in community organisation, project management and conflict resolution, and communication.
Students can expect to find employment in positions related to education and social change, such as environmental training officer positions in corporations, government agencies, in consulting companies, in teaching and in development agencies.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who complete the Master of Environment will have:
• Knowledge to undertake professional practice in environment or sustainability, including:
- Specialised knowledge in an environmental discipline or field of practice, including knowledge of recent developments in this field
- Knowledge of the cross-disciplinary nature of environmental issues and professional practice to promote sustainable futures
- Knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to specialist field of environmental inquiry
• Skills for collaborative and creative problem solving in environmental practice, including:
- Ability to critically analyse and synthesise environmental knowledge
- Ability to envision environmental change and propose pathways to realise this change
- Ability to communicate complex environmental knowledge and research effectively to a range of audiences
- Ability to work effectively in cross-disciplinary teams
Technical skills forprofessional practice and research in field of specialisation
• Demonstrated capacity to:
- Exercise well developed judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner in an environmental discipline or professional field
- Plan and execute a substantial project in an area of environmental research or practice
Upon successful completion of the Education specialisation, students will be able to:
- Analyse the historical, philosophical, socio-cultural, and psychological factors influencing environmental decision making in a given context;
- Propose strategies for using education and other transformative processes to encourage sustainable societies; and
- Collaborate with professionals across disciplines and sectors to design and implement educational and social change programs.
Last updated: 12 November 2022