Graphic designers are visual communicators, assembling illustrations, typography, images and motion graphics to create a piece of design. Graphic designers work within print and digital based mediums to present information in ways that are both memorable and accessible.
The graphic Design major will provide you with practical and conceptual skills to undertake professional graphic design work. Grounded in a strong tradition of VCA studio based visual art practice, it integrates design theory, digital and analogue approaches, and modern industry practices
You will work towards the completion of a design portfolio, which can be used as a foundation for commencing a graphic design-based career or further study.
Intended learning outcomes
In addition to the generic attributes of the University of Melbourne Bachelor of Design graduate, graduates of the Graphic Design major should be able to demonstrate:
- Broad knowledge of design in the specialised discipline of graphic design
- Capacity to critically interpret and integrate historical, social, cultural and stylistic precedents with graphic design concepts
- Broad knowledge of relevant design professions and an awareness of the wider professional context in which graphic designers operate
- Effective use of theoretical approaches, design strategies and processes at various levels of scale, complexity and detail
- Capability to integrate relevant pragmatic and technological issues of the chosen design project
- Competency in a range of communication skills and techniques including verbal, written, analogue and digital visual strategies
- Capacity to work to a design brief, individually, or collaboratively as part of a design team
- Awareness of the need to source, manage and dispose of materials in an environmentally sustainable way, and comprehension of professional responsibilities to shape and manage design in an environmentally, socially, and culturally sustainable way as appropriate to the discipline
- Acquisition of the knowledge and skills required to pursue further study in the discipline of graphic design.