About this course
Associate Dean (Research Training)
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Level 1, Brownless Biomedical Library
The University of Melbourne (Parkville Campus)
Victoria 3010, Australia
Current students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intended learning outcomes
Graduates of the degree will:
- acquire research skills and undertake a shorter thesis which is relevant to social work practice and/or social policy;
- undertake preparation for advanced practice.
Research Masters degrees at the University of Melbourne seek to develop graduates who have a capacity for defining and managing a research project characterised by originality and independence. Their training equips them for more sustained and original work at the doctoral level or for applied research positions in a wide variety of contexts.
The University expects its research masters graduates to have the following qualities and skills:
- an ability to initiate research projects and to formulate viable research question.
- a demonstrated capacity to design, conduct and report independent and original research on a closely-defined project.
- an ability to manage time to maximise the quality of research.
- an understanding of the major contours of international research in the research area.
- a capacity for critical evaluation of relevant scholarly literature.
- well-developed and flexible problem-solving abilities appropriate to the discipline.
- the ability to analyse research data within a changing disciplinary environment.
- the capacity to communicate effectively the results of research and scholarship by oral and written communication.
- an understanding of and facility with scholarly conventions in the discipline area.
- a profound respect for truth and intellectual integrity, and for the ethics of research and scholarship.
- a capacity to cooperate with other researchers.
- an ability to manage information effectively, including the application of computer systems and software where appropriate to the student's field of study.
Last updated: 30 January 2024