|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject introduces the fundamental concepts of computing programming, and how to solve simple problems using the high-level procedural language Python, with a specific emphasis on data manipulation, transformation, and visualisation of scientific data.
Fundamental programming constructs; fundamental data structures; abstraction; basic program structures; algorithmic problem solving; solving simple differential equations; use of modules.
The subject assumes no prior knowledge of computer programming.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Develop programs that can manipulate static, structured data using the Python programming language
- Use programming to effectively communicate data to non-technical people
- Employ basic algorithmic problem-solving techniques
- Identify the kind of data and algorithm most appropriate for solving a given problem.
On completion of this subject, students should have developed the following skills:
- Handle large datasets in digital format
- Exercise critical judgement; undertake rigorous and independent thinking
- Adopt a problem-solving approach to new and unfamiliar tasks
- Develop high-level written report and/or oral presentation skills
- Interrogate, synthesise and interpret the published literature
- Work as part of a team.
Last updated: 3 November 2022