|Fees||Look up fees|
Efficient production relies on keeping animals in their optimal physiological state. The aim of this subject is to provide in depth knowledge of animal physiology as it pertains to the production of food and fibre. Furthermore this subject will cover industry scenarios that compromise efficient production, the impacts on animal physiology and amelioration strategies.
The topics to be covered include: Pathways that regulate growth; Physiology of Lactation; Physiology of Reproduction; Environmental physiology; Muscle biology as it pertains to meat quality; and Feed intake regulation.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this subject students should
- Understand the principles regulating growth of food and fibre, including relationships with product quality
- Be aware of factors that influence fertility
- Understand the impacts of environmental stress on animal production
- Understand the conversion of muscle to meat, including factors that compromise meat quality
- Be aware of the factors that regulate feed intake, including feed efficiency
Last updated: 29 October 2019