|Look up fees
This subject provides the fundamental knowledge and skills for conducting research in optical communications. The subject provides in-depth examination of the key advances in high-speed optical communications. It includes regular lecturing classes as well as a presentation by each student on a relevant topic of their choice.
Coverage of selected topics from the following:
- Linear polarization systems;
- Jones and Stokes space representations;
- Jones matrices for various optical components;
- Modulation formats in optical communications;
- Nonlinearity in optical fibres;
- Channel capacity of optical fibres;
- Space-division multiplexing in optical fibres.
Intended learning outcomes
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs):
On completion of this subject, it is expected that the student will be able to:
- Analyse and evaluate high-speed optical communications systems
- Describe the trends in the fast-evolving field of optical communications
- Design high-speed optical communication channels
- Perform simulations of fiber optic channels for nonlinear single- and dual-polarization systems.
Last updated: 3 November 2022