|Look up fees
The food we eat plays a significant role in human well-being in order to keep pace with a fast-moving society. Cooking from raw materials on a daily basis at the household level in order to meet the human dietary requirements of nutritious and healthy food is far from reality; for this reason the food industry has grown to be one of the largest industries in the world.
In order to meet the food demands of an ever-increasing human population and nutritional composition of raw food materials, the need for food professionals who understand the science behind the sustainable processing and supply of food along with the right balance of nutrition and food safety has never been greater.
This subject will provide students with an advanced understanding of the processing and preservation of grain, fruit and vegetable produce into food products through an integrated approach of science and technology. Students will study and connect with the origin of plant-based food produce, the original chemical and nutritional composition, food technology, changes in the nutritional profile during processing and preservation, and future changes to the food industry.
Students will understand the deep connection between food and processing at national and international level; the science behind processing and the quality maintenance of the processed products. Students will develop skills in critical-thinking, analysing and applying interactions of chemical compositions of plant produce and applied technology to achieve desired processed food products; understanding the international food market through practical exercises; industry visits; discussion; written review and examination.
The subject will include topics such as:
- The variety of plant-based produce, the chemical and nutritional composition of plant-based produce
- Pre-processing handling of plant produce
- Cereal and legumes processing technology
- Fruit and vegetable processing technology
- Quality assurance
- The future challenge of producing and processing sufficient and quality food
Intended learning outcomes
The objective of this subject is to provide students with an advanced understanding of the science and technology associated with plant-based food processin gand the interaction of ingredients and climate change affecting the food industry. On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Interpret the interactions of ingredients of plant-based produce and their functional role during processing
- Describe how the quality of plant food products is assured through the food processing chain
- Interpret the demand of certain types of processed food products based on the production of food products and ingredients of plant origin with technological advancement to the future
- Evaluate the sustainability of food processing for the best outcomes for food quantity and quality
Students will also develop the following generic skills:
- A deep understanding of the plant origin products processing
- Skills in independent critical thinking, analysis, review and report writing
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Capacity for independent critical thought, rational inquiry and self-directed learning and research
- Capacity for creativity and innovation, through the application of skills and knowledge
- Develop the ability to work as a team member
- An ability to derive, interpret and evaluate social, technical and economic information from a wide variety of sources
Last updated: 3 November 2022