|Look up fees
This subject builds on basic news writing skills to explore feature writing, journalistic essay writing and long term literary journalism. Students are introduced to key examples of leading non fiction writing from Australia and overseas, and are encouraged to reflect on the techniques employed, before bringing the results of this study to their own work in a series of practical exercises.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- have a knowledge of the tradition of journalistic non fiction writing, and be familiar with key examples;
- understand the structures and techniques of journalistic feature writing, including the different methods of research required; and
- have completed a portfolio of work demonstrating the skills of literary journalism.
At the completion of this subject, students should gain the following generic skills:
- High level ability to analyse writing techniques and affects; and
- High level ability to express thoughts, ideas and observations in accessible written English.
Last updated: 3 November 2022