|Fees||Look up fees|
The Australian states and territories levy various taxes on businesses and individuals, including payroll tax, land tax, duties on conveyances, leases and other transfers and workers’ compensation levies. Interpreting and complying with this multitude of taxes, only some of which are harmonised across state borders, poses significant challenges for Australian businesses and state revenue agencies alike. Many jurisdictions are enacting more comprehensive anti-avoidance and business entity rules in key state taxes – for example, those applying to trusts or corporate groups – and there is increasing litigation on state taxes in courts around the country. This subject will provide tax professionals with an advanced knowledge of the structure and practical operation of state taxes and duties in a commercial context, taking account of the most recent trends and developments in this field.
This subject will consider in detail the operation of various state taxes and duties, in particular:
- Land tax
- Payroll tax and workers’ compensation levies.
Principal topics include:
- Analysis and comparison of duties, land tax, payroll tax and workers’ compensation levies legislation in Victoria and other jurisdictions
- Consideration of duty liabilities on various documented and undocumented transactions
- Consideration of the nature of land holdings that are subject to land tax and how different types of land holder entities are taxed
- Consideration of the types of compensation that are subject to payroll tax and/or workers’ compensation levies
- The broad range of anti-avoidance provisions
- Exemptions from state taxes, duties and levies
- Administration of the state taxes system, including obligations to provide information and rights to object to assessments and appeal
Intended learning outcomes
A student who has successfully completed this subject should have:
- An advanced understanding of the structure and practical operation of various state taxes and duties, including in particular:
- The operation of duties legislation on conveyances, transfers, leases and other business and commercial transactions
- The structure of land tax and its implications for different land-holding structures
- The structure of the payroll tax and workers’ compensation levies and their implications for different labour arrangements.
Last updated: 2 December 2019