The masters degree is designed for students to develop advanced skills in carrying out independent and sustained research in cultural studies. The thesis should demonstrate a critical application of specialist knowledge and make an independent contribution to existing scholarship in the area of research. Candidates may advance to the Doctor of Philosophy degree after successful completion of the masters or may apply to convert to the PhD at an earlier stage. An honours grade of at least H3 (65%) must be attained to qualify for the award of the masters degree.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who complete the Master of Arts (Thesis only) in this area of specialisation should:
- produce a research thesis on a topic of their own choice;
- demonstrate capacity for independent research;
- acquire the ability to mount a sustained scholarly argument;
- gain mastery of scholarship in their chosen field; and
- gain familiarity with appropriate methods of cultural analysis and research.
Last updated: 30 January 2020