You’re currently viewing the 2019 version of this course
About this course
Intended learning outcomes
- To provide the opportunity to advance your knowledge and skills in a specialist area.
- To engage with new and emerging fields of study.
- To facilitate the advanced development of clinical, academic and research skills necessary for you to further your career in specialty practice, academia or research.
On completion of the DCD course, you should be able to:
- demonstrate proficiency and special skills in the provision of clinical services applicable to the specialty
- demonstrate a detailed understanding of the principles, current developments and research methods applicable to the specialty
- conduct an original scientific investigation into a biological, clinical or community health problem; and
- communicate the results of scientific enquiry.
You could reasonably expect to have acquired the following generic skills by the conclusion of this course:
- advanced understanding of the changing knowledge base of a specialty;
- ability to evaluate and synthesize research and professional literature;
- highly-developed problem-solving abilities characterized by flexibility of approach;
- superior capacity to articulate knowledge and understanding in oral and written presentations;
- advanced understanding of the international context and sensitivities of the specialist area;
- ability to design, conduct and report original research;
- capacity to manage competing demands on time, including self-directed project work;
- profound respect for truth and intellectual integrity, and for the ethics of scholarship;
- ability to offer leadership in the specialist area;
- capacity to value and participate in projects which require team-work;
- understanding of the significance and value of their knowledge to the wider community (including business and industry);
- capacity to engage where appropriate with issues in contemporary society;
- advanced working skills in the application of computer systems and software and a receptiveness to the opportunities offered by new technologies.
Last updated: 24 January 2023