About this course
- Entry and participation requirements
- Attributes, outcomes and skills
- Course structure
- Majors, minors and specialisations
- Further study
Coordinators are listed within each specialisation
Currently enrolled students:
- Further information: https://finearts-music.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/discipline-areas
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Award title||Bachelor of Fine Arts (Degree with Honours)|
|Year & campus||2019 — Southbank|
|Fees information||Subject EFTSL, level, discipline and census date|
|Study level & type||Undergraduate Coursework|
|Credit points||100 credit points|
|Duration||12 months full time|
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (Degree with Honours) aims to provide an opportunity for candidates under the guidance of their supervisor to engage in independent research in their chosen field of artistic practice. The degree will introduce students to practice-led research skills and methodologies toward producing a creative work major project and related research paper. The degree seeks to introduce graduates of proven ability and aptitude to research training and develop their capacity for devising, defining and managing a major project. It also provides candidates with a direct pathway to a masters research degree as well as equips them to work as professional practicing artists in their chosen field of specialisation
1. The Selection Committee will evaluate the applicant's ability to pursue the course successfully using the following criteria.
- completion of a major study in a Fine Arts discipline and a three year Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, or equivalent qualification, at a course weighted average of 70% or equivalent; and
- performance in one or more of an audition, test, interview, workshop, portfolio or folio presentation, as prescribed by the Academic Board for the specialsiation to which entry is sought.
2. The Selection Committee may conduct further interviews or tests and may call for referee reports and employer references to elucidate any of the matters referred to above.
Core participation requirements
For the purposes of considering a request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.The University is dedicated to providingsupport to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website. http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/
Intended learning outcomes
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (Degree with Honours) aims to provide opportunities for suitably qualified candidates to develop their potential for practice-led research as well as attain in-depth knowledge of their field of practice and contribute to the understandings of contemporary artistic practice and theories of art and culture. Emphasis on independent research required in devising and managing a major creative project and research paper prepares candidates for critical and creative thinking and problem solving with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning.
On completing this course students will have acquired key skills including:
- the ability to engage in independent and contextually-informed artistic practice;
- well developed and flexible problem-solving abilities appropriate to the discipline;
- the capacity to effectively communicate the results of research and scholarship by oral and written means;
- an ability to initiate major projects and formulate viable research questions;
- a capacity for critical evaluation of relevant scholarly literature and artistic practice;
- an ability to manage time and to maximise the quality of research and scholarship;
- an understanding of, and facility with, scholarly conventions in the discipline area
- an understanding of the relationship with and responsibility to the cultural environment and society;
- respect for truth and intellectual integrity, and for the ethic of research and scholarship
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (Degree with Honours) programs comprise Advanced Coursework and Research Project components as outlined below.
Majors, minors & specialisations
|Film and Television||100|
|Social Practice and Community Engagement||100|
Graduates may progress to a wide range of graduate coursework programs as well as research higher degree programs.