|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
Commercial construction relates to high, medium or low rise office or apartment buildings, hospitals and institutional buildings, shopping centres and sporting facilities. Each project has characteristic structural forms and resultant methods of construction. Structural design concepts for steel and reinforced concrete are analysed and their influence on construction methods assessed. The topics covered include the interpretation of steel and reinforced concrete drawings and specifications, steel and reinforced concrete framed buildings, industrial ground slabs, basement construction and site retention methods, piling systems and construction methods to suit various geotechnical conditions, composite construction, tilt slab construction methods, precast concrete building systems and hybrid construction systems.
Students will be required to purchase personal protective equipment (steel-toed boots, hard-hat, hi-vis vest and safety goggles); cost approx. $90 to $120 per person. Students may use equipment from a previous subject if these are in good working condition.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject will introduce the design concepts for steel and reinforced concrete structures and is intended for students who enrol in the Master of Construction Management without a background in construction. Upon completion of the subject, the student should be able to:
- appreciate the factors affecting the choice of structural system, the choice of construction materials, and the construction process for commercial buildings;
- understand the roles and responsibilities of the designers, builders and other parties involved in the design and construction of a commercial building;
- read and interpret construction drawings;
- communicate construction solutions by means of sketches and drawings;
- and propose and evaluate alternative construction systems.
Upon completion of this subject, students should have developed the following skills and capabilities:
- problem solving skills;
- analytical skills;
- communication skills.