|Year of offer||Not available in 2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 1|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject builds on students’ knowledge of the Akkadian language and develops text reading skills. The subject covers the transliteration and translation of Akkadian documents from the cuneiform script. Significant time is spent on understanding the documents’ historical and cultural subject matter, as well as reinforcing the grammar of the Akkadian language. The aim is for students to be able to read more difficult Akkadian compositions and comment on grammatical, historical and cultural aspects of the texts.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject should:
- Read and comprehend basic Akkadian texts;
- Translate basic Akkadian passages and sentences into English;
- Identify and explain basic Akkadian grammar, vocabulary and syntax;
- Comprehend basic Akkadian stylistic techniques;
- Identify and articulate the relationship between basic Akkadian texts and their original socio-cultural context.
Students who successfully complete this subject should::
- be skilled in critical thinking and analysis
- possess effective written and communication skills
- develop their linguistic knowledge
- have an understanding of social, ethical and cultural context.