|Fees||Look up fees|
This course is designed to enable students to apply the fundamental principles in material sciences to biomedical applications. It will address different materials (polymers, metals, ceramics and composites) used in contact with living tissue. In addition, students will be introduced to biological materials like bone, muscles, skin and vasculature.
A main focus in this subject is to examine the application of materials in the physiological environment. Topics will include host reaction, testing and degradation of biomaterials in biological environment (e.g. blood – material interaction). Finally, students will be introduced to the regulatory, ethical and legal aspects of fielding biomaterials.
This subject has been integrated with the Skills Towards Employment Program (STEP) and contains activities that can assist in the completion of the Engineering Practice Hurdle (EPH).
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
Having completed this subject the student is expected to be able to:
- Describe the material science and engineering requirements related to biomaterials
- Recognise the complexity in the application of materials in biology
- Describe the practical aspects of biomaterials
- Apply mechanical testing on biomaterials
- Apply basic regulatory and ethical concepts to biomaterials.
- Ability to apply knowledge of science and engineering fundamentals
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation, and solution
- Ability to conduct an engineering project
- Ability to communicate effectively, with the engineering team and with the community at large
- Ability to manage information and documentation
- Capacity for creativity and innovation
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities, and commitment to them
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, as a team leader or manager as well as an effective team member
- Capacity for lifelong learning and professional development.
Last updated: 3 November 2022