|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will give an overview of the tools required to operate successfully in an organisational environment. The focus of the subject is the internal workings of an organisation and specifically addresses three main areas: working with people, managing budgets and understanding basic accounting, and managing processes and projects.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject aims to provide an internal perspective on organisations. Students will learn how to work in teams and leadership styles. They will learn about some basic tools for managing people. In addition to people management, students will also learn basic accounting, net present values, product costing and budgeting. Finally, the subject will cover process types, choice of operational models and project management skills. The subject will be aimed at both those students planning a future career in business and those students envisaging working in a research environment.
Generic skills which should be gained from this subject include:
- leading and participating in teams and managing, persuading and influencing others;
- demonstrating the breadth of knowledge gained in an inter-disciplinary approach;
- applying advanced analysis, business communication and leadership skills in business and professional practice;
- developing the ability to exercise critical judgement, be capable of rigorous and independent thinking, be able to account for their decisions and adopt a problem solving approach;
- high level written and oral communication skills.
Last updated: 6 December 2019