|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will give an overview of the tools that businesses use to manage their external environment. The subject addresses three main areas: negotiation skills, marketing and competitivestrategy. Students will use case studies and simulations to practice negotiation skills. Topics in marketing will include an overview of brands, creating a marketing plan and understanding customers. Finally the competitive strategy component of the subject will focus on the topics of gains from trade, how to price and how to understand and change the competitive environment.
Intended learning outcomes
The aim of this subject is to give students an understanding of the external environment in which businesses operate. Topics are chosen to build skills and understanding in negotiating with others, understanding consumers and responding with appropriate marketing materials and being able to analyse the competitive nature of the market in which the business operates.
Generic skills gained from this subject include:
- leading and participating in teams (including members from diverse cultural backgrounds), managing, persuading and influencing others;
- demonstrating the breadth of knowledge gained in an inter-disciplinary approach;
- applying advanced analysis, business communication and leadership skills in business and professional practice;
- developing the ability to exercise critical judgement, be capable of rigorous and independent thinking, be able to account for their decisions and adopt a problem solving approach;
- high level written report presentation skills;
- oral communication and presentation skills; and
- time management and self-management skills.
Last updated: 3 November 2022