About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable(opens in new window)
|Look up fees
Students will be assigned in small groups to a Practicum Organisation. Working in teams, they will undertake a structured business planning or business development exercise. This will be supported by online modules and seminar work equipping the students with knowledge of approaches, tools and techniques for completing the task and an understanding of report formats appropriate for conveying the results. During the practicum, in-depth work will be undertaken in identifying the scope, opportunities constraints and recommendations of the exercise. Students will learn to work with unstructured and incomplete information in real business settings, to develop research and networks to support their enquiry, to work successfully in teams, to present their findings and seek and receive constructive feedback in a range of settings. Students will also be encouraged to plan, reflect and modify their approaches to improve the outcomes of their efforts in managing the business project.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Apply theory and practice of graduate level studies in commerce to resolving real-world business issues;
- Research, analyse, evaluate and propose practical business solutions within the bounds of the exercise;
- Identify key strategic questions, assess options related to the exercise, communicate progress and check direction with team members, academic mentor and the practicum organisation;
- Demonstrate key attributes sought by employers including cross-cultural communication skills, interpersonal skills, time management, commercial acumen, initiative, independent learning and team skills.
On successful completion of this subject, students should have improved the following generic skills:
- Verbal and written communication skills through discussion and assigned tasks;
- Project management, including accurate scoping of project, development of approaches, timelines, execution and timely completion;
- Team work demonstrated by good communication within the group, understanding of skills brought by individual members, organising for achievement and presenting group report;
- Communication skills in an international business context;
- Research, problem solving and critical thinking;
- Documentation preparation and presentation skills through assigned tasks and the practicum exercise;
- Interpersonal skills through the practicum exercise and assigned tasks.
Last updated: 3 November 2022