|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject will discuss general principles of laser action, the properties of laser beams, some specific types of lasers, laser-based spectroscopic methods, laser photochemistry, ultrafast lasers, and lasers in mass spectrometry.
Intended learning outcomes
- Discuss the principles of laser action
- Identify the properties of lasers and what causes these properties
- Identify the properties of a laser best suited to various applications especially in a chemistry context
- Identify current and potential applications of lasers in chemistry.
- advanced problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- an ability to evaluate the professional literature
- an understanding of the changing knowledge base
- a capacity to apply concepts developed in one area to a different context
- the ability to use conceptual models to rationalize experimental observations
Last updated: 20 June 2019