|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject explores the fundamentals of structure determination as applied to organic and biological molecules, with a focus on mass spectrometry based ion chemistry and instrumentation. The combination of background theory and range of examples will enhance students’ ability to acquire and analyse experimental data.
Intended learning outcomes
- understand the fundamentals of experimental techniques for the determination of the structure of organic and biological molecules, with emphasis on mass spectrometry based ion chemistry and instrumentation
- develop the process and practice of chemical research, and increase their knowledge and understanding of chemical science
- Advanced problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- An ability to evaluate the professional literature
- An understanding of the changing knowledge base
- A capacity to apply concepts developed in one area to a different context
- The ability to use conceptual models to rationalize experimental observations.