|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will give an overview of the drivers for carbon capture and storage, the technology and the economics.
Specific topics will include: Climate Change and Emissions Reduction Measures, Fuel types (coal, oil, gas). Coal chemistry. Other emission sources (natural gas sweetening, cement, iron and steel production) Combustion – conventional pulverized coal, supercritical boilers, IGCC and gasifier design, oxyfuel processes. Coal to liquid fuel processes. Carbon capture using solvent absorption. Other technologies including membranes, adsorbents, chemical looping, cryogenics and gas hydrate technology. Carbon dioxide compression and pipeline transport. Geological Storage – Site selection (containment, capacity, injectivity). Reservoir modeling (static and dynamic), storage in coal seams, enhanced coal bed methane recovery, storage in depleted gas reservoirs and saline formations, enhanced oil recovery. Long term closure and remediation. Economics – levelised cost of electricity, carbon accounting, the economics of CCS. Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and management, legal issues.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Discuss the impacts of climate change and be able to evaluate the range of measures that can be taken to reduce emissions
- Describe the operation of a coal fired power station and appraise the integration of carbon capture and storage into this operation
- Analyse the cost of carbon capture and storage and its impact on the levelised cost of electricity
- Evaluate different carbon storage options and assess the viability of geosequestration
- In-depth technical competence in at least one engineering discipline
- Ability to use a systems approach to design and operational performance
- Understanding of the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of the professional engineer and the need for sustainable development
- Understanding of the principles of sustainable design and development.
Last updated: 6 December 2019