|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 2|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
In this subject students will learn to translate from Chinese to English and English to Chinese. The selection of texts will be limited to modern literature and to documents and news items on politics and international affairs. In their translations students will learn to focus on accuracy as well as stylistic appropriateness and will be encouraged to submit both individual and group work.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students will:
- Acquire skills to explicate complex materials written in another language.
- Be able to present complex information accurately and fluently in writing.
- Be able to research through competent use of the library, and other information sources
- Define areas of inquiry and methods of research.
- Appreciate the complexity of translating concepts from one system into another.
- Show some attention to detail by careful preparation of all written work.
- Acquire some general written communication skills through essay writing and seminar discussion.
- Acquire time management and planning skills through organizing workloads for various learning tasks.
- Have enhanced translation skills.