|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject teaches students to read Latin and covers the material of two semesters. It covers grammatical concepts and paradigms, sentence formation, translation and the reading of simple texts. The aim is for students to acquire the elements of syntax, grammar and vocabulary of Latin, sufficient to begin reading literary and non-literary texts. Some background in Roman cultural and political life will also be covered. Completion of the subject will enable a student to enrol in Intermediate Latin.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject should:
- Read and comprehend basic Latin texts;
- Translate basic Latin passages and sentences into English;
- Identify and explain basic Latin grammar, vocabulary and syntax;
- Comprehend basic Latin stylistic techniques;
- Identify and articulate the relationship between basic Latin texts and their original socio-cultural context.
Last updated: 4 August 2020