|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject introduces three key management systems used in the construction industry, namely Work Health and Safety Management Systems (WHSMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and Quality Management Systems (QMS). It aims to provide relevant practical knowledge and skills to help manage projects to comply with specific safety, environmental and quality standards, codes and regulations. This subject endeavours to develop your knowledge and understanding of the processes and activities involved in preparing a Work Health and Safety (WHS) Plan and Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) in accordance with the relevant Work Health and Safety legislation; a project-specific Environmental Management Plan (EMP) to manage environmental performance and conformity with environmental management policies, practices, and project specific environmental conditions; and a Quality Management Plan (QMP) in accordance with Australian and international standards. Major topics covered include management principles, models, and tools related to these three management systems.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Identify the main legislation, standards, and elements associated with WHSMS, EMS and QMS;
- Understand the key processes for implementing WHSMS, EMS and QMS in the construction industry;
- Develop an effective WHS Plan in accordance with the relevant WHS legislation;
- Conduct hazard identification, risk assessment and formulate control measures to prevent ill health and injury;
- Develop a project-specific EMP to manage environmental performance and conformity with environmental management policies, practices, and project specific environmental conditions;
- Understand best practice QMS implementation at project and corporate level.
- At the completion of the subject students should have developed the following skills and capabilities: Problem solving skills Analytical skills Communication skills Team work skills