|Fees||Look up fees|
Dance Lineages represents a unique “embodied” approach to understanding the diversity of Australian contemporary dance practice. Students investigate and analyse the background, influences, histories, physicalities and aesthetics informing Australian dance artists today in the context of broader regional, and global trends. Key concepts and philosophies including romanticism, classicism, modernism and postmodernism will inform students’ research and performative presentations of excerpts of seminal Australian dance works from the 20th and 21st centuries.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject will enable students to:
- acquire a critical vocabulary and analytical approach to the appreciation of artistic dance works;
- attain proficiency in written and verbal communication skills in order to articulate ideas with confidence;
- articulate and debate the central concepts presented in seminars, in the required readings, video screenings and live performances of artistic dance works;
- develop an appreciation of the cultural and historical context of dance works;
- critically analyse and evaluate discourses and performances of artistic dance works with appropriate norms (criteria) and dance genre /style frameworks;
- acquire a basic level of information literacy;
- develop the capacity for independent research.
Last updated: 6 December 2019