|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 1|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject provides an introduction to key principles and skills in the core areas of Design and Production: Lighting, Costume, Sound, Set/Props, Stage Management and Design.
Through studio-based classes students will learn about the basic principles of each area, discover common equipment, materials and approaches, as well as learn some of the basic techniques for employing these in the context of live performance. Safe work and best practices will be covered and incorporated into each module.
In addition, students will be introduced to manual 2D and 3D visual representation techniques commonly used to communicate design ideas.
Students will complete all of the following modules:
- Safe work and Best Practice Essentials
- Introduction to Stage Management
- Introduction to Light
- Introduction to Sound
- Introduction to Set/Props
- Introduction to Costume
- Introduction to Design
- Introduction to 2D and 3D Representation
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of essential safe work and best practices in technical theatre;
- demonstrate an understanding of and utilise basic techniques in stage management, costume, lighting, sound, set and props for live performance;
- undertake a basic design process to develop sound, light, set and costume ideas;
- demonstrate an understanding of and utilise basic drawing and scale model making techniques to represent set, costume and lighting.