|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject explores the complex educational relationship between, coach, athlete, coaching program and professional context, and encourages students to develop an open and reflective approach to their own coaching practice. It offers a deeper insight into the theory and practice of sports coaching highlighting the pedagogical and scientific concepts underpinning good coaching practice. It addresses key issues such as: positioning the athlete as a learner; instructional methods and reflection; how analysis of ability informs selection; and how the various sports science sub-disciplines can be used to enhance athletic performance. Students will be expected to apply the theoretical knowledge learnt in this subject through the development, implementation and evaluation of coaching programs that they have designed for their specific sport, or activity setting.
The subject is ideal for students who have completed EDUC10051 Sports coaching: theory and practice, and would like to extend and enhance their skills, or for those with coaching experience. However, these are not prerequisites as the skills learned are applicable on and off the sporting field.
Intended learning outcomes
- Understand the importance of sports science sub-disciplines and their use in modern coaching;
- Interpret scientific test data to assess the strengths and weaknesses of an athlete;
- Understand the importance of recovery and provide strategies to ensure that athletes are not over trained;
- Develop and critically defend a periodised training program;
- Utilize performance analysis tools to assess the demands of training and competition.
Examine critically, synthesise and evaluate knowledge across a broad range of disciplines
Expand their analytical and cognitive skills through learning experiences in diverse subjects
Have the capacity to participate fully in collaborative learning and to confront unfamiliar problems
Have a set of flexible and transferable skills for different types of employment
Last updated: 17 January 2020