|Fees||Look up fees|
A study of the development, implementation and evaluation of the second language curriculum. Topics include the origins of second language curriculum development, syllabus design and curriculum development, needs analysis, situation analysis, planning goals and learning outcomes, course planning and syllabus design, the role and design of instructional materials, student assessment and program evaluation.
This subject has a TESOL or Modern Languages/LOTE focus, according to the course within which the student is enrolled.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the second language curriculum
- Identify, describe and critically evaluate different approaches to a key aspect of second language curriculum development
- Design a second language curriculum framework for a specific audience and context
On completion of this subject, students will have:
- A respect for intellectual integrity and the ethics of scholarship
- Advanced skills and techniques applicable to the discipline
- A capacity to articulate knowledge and understanding in oral and written presentations
- An advanced understanding of the international context and sensitivities of the specialist area.
Last updated: 29 October 2019