|Fees||Look up fees|
Pedagogy into Practice is designed to deepen the basic educational theories encountered in the first year of study and to enhance participants’ ability to develop and implement curriculum content. It provides and develops a general conceptual framework for understanding learning and teaching specific to clinical contexts. It examines how learning can be enhanced from a range of theoretical and evidence-based perspectives.
Participants will analyse student characteristics to identify learning and teaching strategies that build on individual students’ prior experiences and learning. Participants will investigate the strategic role of the teacher in effective student learning, planning for learning, group teaching, developing a culture of learning and building relationships. There will be strong emphasis on linkages to the clinical environment and critical reflection as a paradigm for teacher self-evaluation and professional learning.
Intended learning outcomes
By completing this subject, participants should:
- continue to develop a critical understanding of the principles of effective clinical teaching and learning;
- know the basis of the most salient research that underpins clinical teaching and the key debates in this field;
- understand scope and limits and professional responsibility in teaching;
- develop and plan for patterns of clinical teaching and learning;
- understand the impact of pedagogical practices on student outcomes;
- explore learning through teamwork and engagement
- demonstrate an analytical and reflective approach to their clinical teaching activities and recognition of their professional responsibilities in this area.
After completing this subject, participants should be able to:
- apply theories and principles to specific clinical teaching and learning contexts;
- access and use relevant research literature;
- identify and implement best practice in clinical teaching;
- demonstrate understanding of the subject in concise oral and written formats.
Last updated: 2 December 2019