|Fees||Look up fees|
English for Academic Purposes is designed to develop students' writing, reading and study skills. The main aims of the subject are therefore to develop your skills in the following areas:
- interpreting information;
- expressing ideas;
- negotiating discussion.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to (for the following areas):
- Understand academic listening and reading texts;
- Identify relevant information;
- Take notes;
- Recognise point of view and bias;
- Think clearly and critically.
- Argue a point (writing and speaking);
- Use academic style (writing and speaking);
- Paraphrase and use evidence;
- Structure academic essays and presentations.
- Participate in formal and informal discussion
At the completion of this subject, students should gain the following generic skills:
- the ability to critically examine and analyse a variety of texts;
- competence in conveying ideas clearly and fluently in both written and spoken form;
- the ability to collaborate effectively in group learning activities; and
- the ability to synthesize information, including paraphrasing.
Last updated: 6 December 2019