|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework Level 7|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
A series of weekly seminars dealing with the critical investigation of a significant topic in contemporary cultural theory. The course is run as a reading group and critical workshop. Discussion is focussed on critical methods demonstrated in the reading material and, according to opportunity, on critical issues arising from current art exhibitions or events.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject will enable students to:
• develop an understanding of the professional and institutional practices that comprise the contemporary art profession;
• demonstrate through critical writing and discussion the capacity to articulate judgements and opinions that reflect an understanding of the field;
• engage professionally within the institutional context of contemporary art.
On completion of this subject students will be able to:
• communicate in a lucid and persuasive manner, verbally and in writing, their analysis, interpretation and evaluation of works of art;
• direct and organise their own research and investigation into topics of relevance to the development of their artistic work, and test the outcomes of this research and investigation.