|Year of offer||Not available in 2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject covers portfolio analysis and financial management. Topics include: return and risk, portfolio theory, asset pricing models, market efficiency, capital budgeting, cost of capital, dividend policy and capital structure.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Explain the nature of debt and equity capital;
- Critically evaluate the impact of financing decisions and capital structure on the value of the firm;
- Analyse capital budgeting proposals;
- Critically evaluate alternative methods of appraising projects;
- Critically evaluate the impact of alternative dividend policies on the value of the firm;
- Explain the impact of taxation and other market imperfections on the value of the firm;
- Discuss core concepts in finance, including risk, return, risk premium and risk aversion;
- Examine the portfolio selection problem, with emphasis on the mean variance framework;
- Develop techniques to evaluate the performance of money managers;
- Critically evaluate theories of asset pricing and their applications in the pricing of securities.