|Fees||Look up fees|
This capstone project will provide the culmination of the Master of Geoscience degree.
The main guiding principle of the capstone project will be applying the skills developed during the prerequisite practical training subjects to the production of new results. Working in teams or individually under only general guidance from staff members, students will use the skills developed during the rest of their degree to both design and implement the analysis and reporting of a large, fieldwork-based or laboratory-based geosciences project. Using a variety of techniques, they will work to solve an industry-relevant problem in the laboratory, or at a field site in Australia or overseas. The emphasis of the project will be on using established techniques to provide advice to an existing client, either in industry or research.
The students will overcome a number of challenges during this process. Many of the projects will involve teamwork. Students will need to make allowances for the various skills and commitment of the team members, their various cultural backgrounds and work styles. Finally, application of the technical and analytical skills that they have learned during their degree will challenge them to develop proficiencies in both analysis and reporting that approach the quality of similar work expected in the workforce. An important focus will be the development of an ability to present results in ways that can be best adopted by industry-based clients.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject aims to provide students with:
- The ability to apply laboratory/field work techniques as currently used in the workforce or research laboratory
- The ability to project manage as part of a team in order to design the program of work, gather the necessary data, complete the analysis of project results and compile a major project report
- The ability to present results in oral form at a career-ready level
On completion of this subject students will have gained experience in:
- developing the ability to exercise critical judgement;
- rigorous and independent thinking;
- working as part of an effective team
- adopting a problem-solving approach to practical challenges;
- high-level written report presentation skills;
oral communication, project management and presentation skills.
Last updated: 29 July 2022