|Fees||Look up fees|
Business analytics involves the use of data to support business decision-making. Topics covered include business decision-making, evidence-based management, data warehouse design and implementation, data sourcing and quality, on-line analytical processing (OLAP), dashboards and data mining, case studies of business analytics practice. This subject is a 3rd year breadth subject in information systems, and forms one of the elective subjects for the Diploma of Informatics.
This subject introduces the concepts of business analytics, decision making, data warehouse design, data warehouse modelling, data quality, data warehouse implementation - including the ETL process, and data warehouse use in supporting business analytics – including decision making tools and OLAP. Readings are provided for all topics that introduce real world cases on business analytics and related areas and include the use of business analytics in organisations.
Intended learning outcomes
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Be familiar with business analytics and its relationship to decision-making
- Understand the main concepts underlying data warehouse design and implementation, data quality and retrieval and analysis of data
- Be familiar with the use of business analytics in practice
On completion of this subject, students should have developed the following generic skills:
- High level of development: collaborative learning; problem solving; team work; interpretation and analysis; critical thinking
- Moderate level of development: oral communication; written communication
Last updated: 21 December 2019