|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 2|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject introduces BMus students to traditional Chinese instrumental music. Through weekly lessons culminating in an end-of-semester performance, students learn to play a Chinese instrument, read traditional notation, and perform in a large silk-and-bamboo ensemble. Dizi, sheng, yangqin, erhu, zhonghu, zhongruan, daruan, and traditional percussion instruments are available for instruction.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- perform to a basic standard on a traditional Chinese instrument;
- work cooperatively as a member of a silk-and-bamboo ensemble;
- demonstrate knowledge of traditional Chinese music principles and techniques in their performance.
On completion of this subject students should have the ability to:
- demonstrate an openness to new ideas about music;
- work cooperatively in a music ensemble;
- think critically and independently as a musician;
- understand and appreciate cultural diversity.