|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject gives participants the opportunity for an in-depth practical study of drumming techniques in a large ensemble setting. This percussion based Samba Band will explore diverse rhythms and instruments that form part of Afro-Brazil musical culture as well as percussive material from other Latin American areas. Some of the styles include Carnival Batucada, Samba Reggae, Afro 6/8 and Bomba. Classes will cover techniques on a variety of percussion instruments and the role of the various instruments in the ensemble. The ensemble will rehearse and prepare material conducted and suitable for public performance or recording.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Identify a variety of rhythms and styles associated with Latin American musical culture;
- Identify and perform selected rhythmic patterns on a variety of percussive instruments;
- Understand and identify polyrhythmic activity in ensemble playing;
- Perform rhythm with a renewed understanding of the inner pulse.
Upon completing this subject students should be able to:
• Exhibit extensive theoretical and practical knowledge of their discipline including relevant professional knowledge, skills, discipline and ethics as they relate to the practising musician
• Demonstrate an open and independent attitude towards contemporary cultural developments
• Demonstrate a flexible and innovative approach to the challenges for the professional musician in the 21st century
• Critically and creatively engage with topics of cultural significance across the broader community
• Work at various levels, both individually and as a team member, in a wide variety of musical environments
• Understand and appreciate how the arts connect with the broader society and culture.
Last updated: 10 December 2019