|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject comprises three modules.
Anatomy and Histology: Microscopic structure of human body tissues; structure and function of vascular, muscular, nerve, skeletal, lymphatic and glandular body systems; surface anatomy of the head and neck; osteology of the skull; and myology of the head and neck.
Oral Anatomy: A knowledge of the hard and soft tissues and landmarks of intra and extra oral anatomy; morphological anatomy of the human dentition both permanent and deciduous; Palmer notation and FDI classification of the human dentition.
Preventive Dentistry: The epidemiology of dental diseases; the preventive philosophy and the aims of preventive dentistry; individual and community oral preventive measures; the anatomy and clinical appearance of the health periodontium; and the classification, examination and diagnosis of dental caries and periodontal disease.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should:
- The terminology of anatomy, biochemistry, histology and oral anatomy;
- The principal clinical applications of anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, histology, oral anatomy, and microbiology to care of the dental patient;
- The principles of the aetiology and prevention of common oral diseases;
- The nature of dental caries and periodontal disease and the mechanisms of primary prevention and technical intervention to restore tooth function; and
- The skills and knowledge to implement clinical preventive procedures.
- An ability to recognise healthy oral tissues and the clinical appearance of dental caries and periodontal disease;
- A knowledge of the blood, lymphatic and nerve supply to tissues in the head and neck; and
- An ability to plan work and utilise time effectively.
- Collection, analysis and presentation
- Time management and planning skills through class preparation, revision and assignment completion;
- Safe handling and disposal of chemicals and other laboratory materials
- Comprehension and critical analysis of scientific concepts and principles
Last updated: 9 November 2019