|Fees||Look up fees|
The respective roles, responsibilities and sources of power characterizing relationships between business and government play a crucial role in shaping public policy and regulation, within and between countries. Because of its productive function, business often enjoys a privileged position with government, while a major goal of policy and regulation at national and international levels is to steer and regulate business activity. Relationships between business and government vary significantly in different countries, economic sectors, and over time, and the conceptual tools for understanding them remain subject to widespread debate. This subject critically reviews contemporary policy debates and scholarly research, and draws on contrasting case examples to explore theoretical, normative and practical implications of business-government relationships. Particular attention is given to debates about government-business relationships associated with processes of public policy formation and implementation, social and environmental regulation, and delivery of public services and infrastructure. On completion of the subject, students should have a strong critical understanding of debates about the character and inter-relationship of business and government, from a comparative and international perspective.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject should be able to:
- Understand the way business interacts with government and government manages business relations
- Understand at an advanced level how relationships between business and government vary between countries, economic sectors and over time
- Reflect critically on the changing roles, responsibilities and sources of power that characterise relationships between business and government.
- Apply in-depth research and analytical skills in select topics in the field
On completion of this subject students should:
- be able to apply research skills and critical methods to a field of inquiry.
Last updated: 13 October 2021