|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject will examine the impact of international migration on the states, societies, and individuals. Its first segment will address the questions such as why people move and how societies change because of immigration and emigration. The second segment will examine policies concerning multiculturalism and social cohesion. By reviewing various policy examples and case studies, this subject aims to help students understand the realities of international migration and its policy challenges. The third segment will analyze the global governance of international migration, including the roles of international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and international laws. This subject is offered by Asia Institute, and will use many case studies of Asian countries, while covering the experiences of Australia, the US, Canada, and some major immigration countries in Europe as reference points as well.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should:
• have a solid understanding of theories and debates in the field of international migration
• have developed an ability to critique the literature on migration studies
• have a knowledge base of basic international institutional frameworks (e.g. international organizations, laws, governance mechanism, etc.)
• have an ability to conduct a migration-related research and articulated their findings in oral and written presentations
On completion of this subject, students will have developed the following generic skills:
• Analytical skills: Through critical reviews of academic literature, students will have sharpened their analytical ability.
• Problem-solving skills: Through case studies exercise on immigration/emigration policies, students will have developed problem-solving skills.
• Presentation skills: Students will have an opportunity to present their research work and receive feedbacks from the instructor and peers, which will help them improve their presentation skills.