|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
The subject aims at preparing skills for translating technical language of special genres in Chinese economic and legal contents, and nurturing critical understanding of the cultural and intellectual foundations of the English- and Chinese-speaking worlds. Students will be given hands-on practice on reading and translating a variety of business and legal documents, including official policy statements, statistical material, business contracts, court documents and dispute resolutions. Special attention will be paid to foreign trade issues and the economic links between China and the world, and the current development in China’s economic and legal reform.
The terminology and style of these documents will be discussed and analysed, as will the linguistic features of this particular genre of written material, and the source and purpose of their publication.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should:
- improve skills in comprehension and interpretation of business and legal language in Chinese;
- gain knowledge of key issues of contemporary Chinese economic and legal reform;
- acquire skills to extract information from complex specialized materials written in Chinese, and render them accurately into English;
- work in team-based and project-based work environments;
- be able to present specialized technical information in a correct professional format;
- be equipped with skills to translate Chinese business and legal documents.
On completion of this subjects, students should have developed the following:
- Be able to research, through competent use of the library and other information sources.
- Be able to define areas of inquiry and methods of research.
- Be able to understand the structure of the Chinese economic and legal systems.
- Show attention to detail through reading and translating.
- Acquire some specialized translation skills by careful preparation of all translation work.
- Acquire time management and planning skills through organizing workloads for various learning tasks.